.Please only bid on items if you can collect or have collected by a shipping company by the following Wednesday after the sale. Items can be collected on the Saturday between 9-2pm after the sale.Please be aware STORAGE CHARGES apply if not collected by the following Wednesday
Terms & Conditions
Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 5% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed. We do not carry out telephone bidding on lots estimated at under £100.
All items must be paid for and collected within 4 working days of the sale (by the following Wednesday). All successful candidates will be notified by e-mail.
PAYMENT - Payment by Debit Card will not incur charges. We also accept cash on collection or bank transfers. Bank details can be found on the invoice sent to you.
SHIPPING - We do operate a shipping service for some items. Please contact us prior to bidding to obtain a postage quote or details of couriers who collect from us on a regular basis. Items must be collected within 3 working days or storage charges of £5 per lot per day will be implemented unless pre-agreed. Items not collected after 2 months will revert back to our own and be sold to cover costs.
Auctioneers Terms and Conditions
CONDITIONS OF SALE
The conditions of business set out below are the terms on which Brighton and Hove Auctions contract, as Auctioneers, with buyers and sellers. For ease of reference, the conditions are split into four sections: Section A details general conditions and definitions, Section B details conditions relating to sellers, Section C details conditions relating to buyers, and Section D details legal information.
A. GENERAL CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. Agents and Auctioneers. In these conditions B&HA act only as auctioneers and agents for the seller. The representative of B&HA conducting the auction is called “the Auctioneer”.
2. Definitions. Some terms are used regularly in these conditions and have the following explanations:
“the buyer” means the person with the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer.
“the lot” means any item deposited with B&HA for sale at auction.
“the seller” means the person or persons claiming title to a particular lot or lots being sold by B&HA at auction.
“the hammer price” means the amount of the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer in relation to a lot.
“the reserve” means the amount below which B&HA agree with the seller that the lot cannot be sold.
3. Terms. Charges incurred by buyers and sellers at B&HA may vary from time to time and the attention of both buyers and sellers is drawn to the rates published by B&HA on receipt forms, sellers' and buyers' stationery, catalogues and rate cards.
4. Descriptions and Liability. Whilst B&HA makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of their catalogues and the description of any Lot, we do not take any responsibility for descriptions and photographs if an error occurs...
a) Each lot as set out in the catalogue or as divided or combined with any other lot or lots is sold by the seller and bought by the buyer with all faults, imperfections and errors of description.
(b) B&HA do not accept responsibility for the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot unless they have been instructed in
writing by the seller to so certify, and in such case, B&HA does so as agents for the seller and is not responsible for any claims then arising.
(c) All statements whether printed in the catalogue or given orally as to any of the matters set out in (b) above are statements of opinion only and are not to be taken as being or implying any warranties or representations of fact by B&HA unless they have been instructed to do so by the seller. Buyers are responsible for satisfying themselves concerning the condition of the goods and the matters referred to in the catalogue description.
(a) The auctioneer has absolute discretion to divide any lot, to combine any two or more lots or withdraw any lot from the sale. The auctioneer may refuse bids, regulate bidding or cancel the sale without notice or reason, the auctioneer may bid on behalf of the seller for all goods which are being offered subject to reserve or the auctioneer’s discretion.
(b) The highest bidder shall be the buyer except in the case of a dispute, where the auctioneer may re-offer the lot. The auctioneer has absolute discretion to determine the advance of bidding or refuse a bid.
(c) Each lot is put up for sale subject to any reserve placed by the seller. Where no reserve has been placed, the seller has the right to bid personally or to instruct any other person (who may be the auctioneer) to bid on his behalf.
(d) All conditions, notices, descriptions, statements and other matters in the catalogue and elsewhere concerning any lot are subject to any statements modifying the same made by the auctioneer from the rostrum.
6. Recession. Notwithstanding any other terms of these conditions, if within fourteen days after the sale B&HA has received from the buyer a lot of notice in writing that in his view the lot is a deliberate forgery and within twenty-one days after such notification the buyer returns the lot to B&HA in the same condition as at the time of sale, and by producing evidence (the burden of proof to be upon the buyer) satisfies B&HA that considered in the light of the catalogue entry the lot is a deliberate forgery, then the sale of the lot will be rescinded and the purchase price refunded. The seller and the buyer agree to be bound by B&HA’s decision. In no circumstances will B&HA be required to pay the buyer any more than the amount paid by him for the lot concerned and the buyer shall have no claim for interest.
7. Default. B&HA disclaim any responsibility for default by the buyer or the seller. B&HA act as an agent for the seller only and will not make payment to the seller until a settlement is received from the buyer.
8. Telephone Instructions. Instructions given by telephone by sellers or buyers are accepted at the sender’s risk unless confirmed in writing.
9. Sale by Private Treaty. In the event of a sale by private treaty, both the buyer and the seller agree to be bound by B&HA Conditions of Business.
10. Third-Party Liability. Every person on B&HA’s premises at any time shall be deemed to be there at his own risk. He shall have no claim against B&HA in respect of any accident which may occur or injury, damage or loss howsoever caused, except if the injury, damage or loss is caused by the negligence of B&HA’s employees.
B. SELLERS CONDITIONS
11. Instructions. All goods delivered to B&HA’s premises are deemed to be delivered for sale by auction, and unless otherwise stated in writing will be catalogued and sold by B&HA without reserve. By delivering the goods to B&HA, each seller acknowledges that he has accepted and agrees to be bound by these conditions.
12. Collections. If required, B&HA will instruct a carrier on the seller’s behalf in their capacity as agents. B&HA disclaim all responsibility for loss or damage to goods or for unauthorized removal of goods or for damage caused by carriers. Unless payment is satisfactorily made by other means, the charge for carriers’ services will be deducted from the proceeds of the sale.
13. Loss or Damage. B&HA disclaim all responsibility for loss or damage to goods or for unauthorized removal of goods unless caused by the direct negligence of B&HA’s employees.
14. Storage. B&HA reserve the right to store or arrange for the storage of goods delivered to them for sale either on their own premises or elsewhere at their discretion. B&HA refute any liability for loss or damage to goods, delivered to their salerooms without notice or with insufficient sale instructions and reserve the right to make a storage charge for such goods.
15. Insurance. All goods on BHA, premises or in their custody will be held insured against the risks of fire, burglary and damage for which BHA will levy a charge which will be deducted from the proceeds of the sale. The value of the goods so covered shall be the hammer price fewer charges, or in the case of unsold lots, the reserve. Where no reserve has been fixed, the basis of settlement shall be the lower auction estimate or failing this, the price which BHA in their absolute discretion estimate to be the auction value of such goods.
16. Reserves. All goods are offered for sale without reserve unless written instructions as to reserve are received by B&HA prior to the commencement of the sale. In the event of any reserve not being reached at auction, B&HA is authorized by the seller to sell after the auction by private treaty, at not less than the reserve. In the event of such a sale, these conditions of sale will apply.
17. Indemnity. The seller indemnifies B&HA against any claims in connection with goods sold by B&HA on the seller's behalf.
18. Value Added Tax. A seller who intends to sell by auction any chattel(s) which is an asset of his business must disclose to B&HA whether or not he is a registered person or business for VAT purposes and, if so, his registered number and whether or not he intends to operate the Dealers’ Margin Scheme covering works of art etc. This information must be supplied to B&HA on or prior to the delivery of the goods.
19. Deductions. The seller authorizes B&HA to deduct commission and expenses in accordance with B&HA’s current terms of business. The seller acknowledges B&HA’s right to retain any premium payable by the buyer and waives any right to any interest that may be earned during the period from payment by the buyer to receipt of sale proceeds by the seller.
20. Photographic Rights. The seller gives B&HA full and absolute rights to photograph and illustrate any goods placed with B&HA for sale. All such photographs and illustrations shall remain the property of B&HA and may be used at any time by B&HA, whether or not in connection with the auction.
21. Withdrawals. Where a seller cancels instructions for sale, or where a lot is withdrawn for any reason other than misattribution or authenticity, B&HA reserve the right to charge a fee based on the reserve price of the lot, or, where no reserve has been fixed, B&HA’ lower end of the estimate of the withdrawn lot, together with any expenses incurred.
22. Unsold Lots. Where a lot fails to sell and a reserve has been agreed with B&HA, the seller shall make arrangements to either re-offer the lot or remove the lot in accordance with clause 14 and B&HA’s instructions. If the reserve has been imposed by the seller and has not been agreed with B&HA, B&HA reserve the right to charge a fee based on the reserve imposed by the seller, together with any expenses incurred.
C. BUYERS CONDITIONS
23. Inspection. Each buyer by making a bid for a lot, acknowledges that he has satisfied himself fully before bidding, by inspection or otherwise, to all the conditions of sale, the physical condition of and description of any lot including but not restricted to whether the lot is damaged or has been repaired or restored.
24. Title and Risk. The legal title to a lot shall not pass to the buyer until the lot has been paid for in full. B&HA shall be entitled to a lien over any lot sold but not paid for, but the lot is at the sole risk of the buyer from the fall of the hammer. Each buyer shall give his full name and permanent address when required by B&HA, and shall pay for lots purchased to B&HA in accordance with clause 26. If the buyer fails to comply with any of these conditions, any lots may be re-offered for sale at B&HA’s sole discretion and the buyer will be responsible for any shortfall against the original purchase price, together with any expenses incurred.
25. Buyer as Agent. Every buyer shall be deemed to act as principal unless there is in force a written acknowledgement by B&HA that the buyer acts as agent on behalf of a named principal.
26. Purchase Price. In addition to the hammer price, the buyer must pay to B&HA a buyer’s premium at the stated rates inclusive of Value Added Tax in accordance with the Auctioneers’ Margin Scheme. VAT may also be payable on the hammer price, but only if the lot is marked to that effect.
27. Commission Bids. B&HA will execute bids on behalf of intending buyers unable to attend the sale at no charge. B&HA undertake to purchase lots as cheaply as allowed by other bids and reserves. If B&HA receives bids on a particular lot for identical amounts, it will be sold to the person whose bid was received first. Commission bids are undertaken subject to other commitments at the time of sale; B&HA cannot accept any liability for errors or omissions made in carrying out such bids.
28. Removal of Goods. No purchase shall be claimed or removed until payment has been received in full. All lots purchased must be paid for and removed at the buyer’s risk and expense by the end of the second working day following the sale. All lots not so removed shall remain at the risk of the buyer and be subject to a storage charge.
29. Payment and Default. If purchased lots are not paid for and removed within seven days of the sale, B&HA may re-sell them by auction or by private treaty without notice to the buyer, and deduct any expenses incurred from the sale proceeds. In the event of any failure by the buyer to comply with any of these conditions, the damages recoverable from the defaulter shall include any loss arising from the resale of lots, together with charges and expenses in respect of both sales and together with interest at 4% above National Westminster Bank Plc Base Rate on any lot remaining unpaid within two working days of the sale. Any money deposited by the buyer in part payment shall be held by B&HA on account of any liability of the defaulter to them or to the seller.
30. Copyright. The copyright in all images, illustrations and written material relating to a lot is and shall remain at all times the property of B&HA and shall not be used by the buyer nor anyone else without B&HA’ written consent.
B&HA Auctioneers offer an online bidding service via the-saleroom.com for bidders who cannot attend the sale.
In completing the bidder registration on www.the-saleroom.com and providing your debit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed upon with B&HA Auctioneers you:
1. authorise B&HA Auctioneers, if they so wish, to charge the debit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via the-saleroom.com, and
2. confirm that you are authorised to provide these debit card details to B&HA Auctioneers through www.the-saleroom.com and agree that B&HA Auctioneers are entitled to ship the goods to the cardholder name and cardholder address provided in fulfilment of the sale.
Please note that any lots purchased via the-saleroom.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 7% commission charge + VAT at the rate imposed on the hammer price
D. LAW AND JURISDICTION CONDITIONS
31. Notices. Any notice given under these conditions is to be in writing and, if given by post, will be taken to have been received by the addressee on the second working day after posting.
32. Severability. If any part of these Conditions of Business is found by any court to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that part may be discounted and the rest of the conditions shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
33. English Law. These Conditions of Business are subject to English Law, which applies to their construction as well as their effect. The seller and the buyer submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English court.
34. Buyers Premium of 18% + VAT will be added to the hammer price