Metropress Limited ("We" or "Auction Technology Group") is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controller is Metropress Limited (a Company registered in England and Wales with company number 01010311), whose principal place of business is 65 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0HR, United Kingdom.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Richard Lewis.
Please note that as of January 5th, 2016 we have amended the terms of this Policy.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
Sometimes bidders breach the terms of their auction contract with an auctioneer, pay late and/or fail to conclude a purchase and 'default'. This has a detrimental impact on all parties involved from the auctioneer and the seller to the other potential buyers of the item subject to the transaction. It prevents us from providing a timely and efficient service to all our users.
Our services also allow auctioneers to enter comments about you relating to your transactions and share this information with ourselves and other auctioneers in order to ensure those using our services conclude transactions properly and do not abuse our services or the services offered by auctioneers through our platform.
We therefore now collect and store additional personal data regarding transactions (including any defaults) and we may share this personal data with auctioneers on an ongoing basis to ensure the integrity and reputation of our services and to protect auctioneers and sellers from future default. Auctioneers may also share this information with other auctioneers using our services. This information we refer to as "Transaction Information"
Please read Section 1 "Information Relating to Bidders" and Section 5 "Uses Made of Transaction Information" carefully. You have the right to ensure this information is accurate and up to date. Please contact the auctioneer concerned and/or Auction Technology Group by email at email@example.com or by phone at +44 (0)203 725 5555 or by mail at 65 Southwark Street, London SE1 0HR.
Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our sites www.antiquestradegazette.com, www.i-bidder.com, www.BidSpotter.co.uk, www.BidSpotter.com, www.BidSpotter.eu and www.the-saleroom.com and those of third parties ("Third Parties") powered by our technology to which this policy is expressed to apply ("Our Site"). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, registering to participate in live auctions, subscribing to our service or that of Third Parties, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by Auction Technology Group or a Third Party, if you request delivery services from us, and when you report a problem with our site.
- Address, contact and payment (including credit or debit card information) information in relation to any delivery services we may provide
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the bids (successful or otherwise) you may make during any live auction.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- We may ask you to provide information on your interests and/or preferences so that the information on our site is presented to you in the most effective manner.
Where we receive unsolicited personal information, we will determine whether it would be reasonably necessary for us to store this information. If we consider that we do not require such information, we will destroy any unsolicited personal information that we receive.
Information Relating to Bidders
In addition to the information described above, we will also collect and process information regarding your transactions with auctioneers including:
- Details of when you registered on Our Site.
- The number of transactions you have entered into with auctioneers through Our Site.
- The total value of the transactions you have entered into with auctioneers through Our Site.
Where you have entered into a transaction through Our Site (i.e. you have placed a bid on an item and this bid has been accepted by an auctioneer as the 'winning bid') and;
- have failed to conclude the transaction with the auctioneer (for whatever reason); or
- have breached your agreement with the Auctioneer in some other way.
Feedback from auctioneers in relation to transactions you have been involved with by way of comments which may be positive or negative based on objective criteria e.g. whether you paid on time/promptly or were late, that you are a frequent buyer, that you made a payment card chargeback or whether you have been previously blocked by another auction house etc.
IP AddressesWe may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
Where We Store Your Personal Data
Information you provide to us is stored on our servers or those of our sub-contractors. We and our sub-contractors will take reasonable steps to protect your information. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a user ID and password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping your user ID and password confidential. We ask you not to share your user ID and password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses Made of the Information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- If you choose to provide information to us regarding your interests and/or preferences we may send you content based on the information that you have provided to us. We may use the information provided by you to display information about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. We do not share this information with any other third party save for an auctioneer should you bid on an item.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service such as live auctions, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- Where agreed, in order to deliver goods to you and to collect payment from you in relation to these and related services
- To supply auctioneers and other third parties (including Third Parties) with the required information for the purposes of payment and sale reconciliation (including credit card details), the packing, collection and delivery of lots (and the provision of a quote for this), the entering into and enforcement of your contract with the auctioneer, communications with the auctioneer, and the conduct of and your participation in the live auction(s) they are conducting. We are not responsible for the processing of your personal data by such persons including without limitation any Third Parties. This is a matter between you and the person concerned. We are simply acting as a communication channel for this information.
- Where the information is Transaction Information we may also use it as specified below.
If you consent to the use of your data in this way please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Uses Made of Transaction Information
As explained in Section 1 we collect and process Transaction Information. We may use this Transaction Information to ensure that our services and those of the auctioneers we work with are not negatively impeded by bidders that default on one or more transactions or whose conduct poses a risk to the integrity or reputation of our services or the services of the auctioneers.
In addition, through our services your Transaction Information may be shared with auctioneers who may rely on it when deciding whether to enter into a transaction with you in the future. They may also share this information with other auctioneers by using our services.
We will not notify you that Transaction Information has been collected regarding your transaction(s) through Our Site, however you may contact us at any time (as detailed in Section 10, below) and we will provide you with any Transaction Information that we hold regarding your transaction(s). You may request that we or the auctioneer correct any such information that we or they hold should it prove to be inaccurate.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group from time to time.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- Auctioneers conducting auctions using our site or our technology.
- Our suppliers and partners (including third party shippers) including carrier and delivery companies
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Auction Technology Group or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by leaving certain boxes unchecked on the forms we use to collect your data or by amending your details online. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at:Anne Somers
Auction Technology Group
65 Southwark Street
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of auctioneers, our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites. In particular where we collect information on behalf of Third Parties such Third Parties and not Auction Technology Group are responsible for how the information is processed.
Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you by us. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.