.Lots marked with a * may attract the Artist’s Resale royalty charge at the rate of 4% of the hammer price.
This royalty, where applicable, will be charged to the purchaser.
Buyer's Premium 22% + VAT
Lots purchased online with www.the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 3% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed
Due to the high number of fraudulent card transactions that we have experienced recently, we will no longer be accepting payment over the phone by credit or debit card. Payment can be made in person by credit or debit card. Payment will also be accepted by bank transfer or cheque. The cheque payment will have to clear before goods are released. Please be aware that cheque clearance will take eight days from deposit. We will only release goods to a third party upon receipt of identification and authority from the purchaser.
Your payment must be made direct to Sworders and will not be processed by the-saleroom.com
Unfortunately, we are unable to arrange any packing or delivery of items. Therefore, we would suggest that you contact one of the following companies:
Mail Boxes Etc
Dorset House, Duke Street, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1TB
Tel: +44 1245 262527
Pack and Send (specialising in fragile, large and awkward items)
417 Upper Richmond Road West, East Sheen, London, SW14 7PJ
Tel: + 44 20 8392 6990
Stephen Morris Shipping PLC
Unit 9, Ockham Drive, Greenford Park, Greenford, UB6 0FD
Tel: +44 20 8832 2222
Unit 4, Premier Business Park, Dencora Way, Luton, Bedfordshire LU3 3HP
Tel: +44 1582 493099
Conditions of sale
GE Sworder & Sons carries on business with bidders, buyers and all those present in the auction room prior to or in connection with a sale on the following General Conditions and on such other terms, conditions and notices as may be referred to herein.
1. In these Conditions:"auctioneer" means the firm of GE Sworder & Sons or its authorised auctioneer, as appropriate;
2. "deliberate forgery" means an imitation made with the intention of deceiving as to authorship, origin, date, age, period, culture or source but which is unequivocally described in the catalogue as being the work of a particular creator and which at the date of sale had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description;
3. "hammer price" means the level of bidding reached (at or above any reserve) when the auctioneer brings down the hammer;
4. "terms of consignment" means the stipulated terms and rates of commission on which GE Sworder & Sons accepts instructions from sellers or their agents;
5. "total amount due" means the hammer price in respect of the lot sold together with any premium. Value Added Tax chargeable and any additional charges payable by a defaulting buyer under these Conditions;
6. "sale proceeds" means the net amount due to the seller, being the hammer price of the lot sold less commission at the stated rate. Value Added Tax chargeable and any other amounts due to us by the seller in whatever capacity and however arising;
7. "You", "Your", etc refer to the buyer as identified in Condition 2.
8. The singular includes the plural and vice versa as appropriate.
2. Bidding procedures and the buyer
1. Bidders are required to register their particulars before bidding and to satisfy any security arrangements before entering the auction room to view or bid.
2. The maker of the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer conducting the sale shall be the buyer at the hammer price and any dispute about a bid shall be settled at the auctioneer's absolute discretion by reoffering the Lot during the course of the auction or otherwise.
3. Bidders shall be deemed to act as principals.
4. Once made no bid may be withdrawn.
Our right to bid on behalf of the seller is expressly reserved up to the amount of any reserve and the right to refuse any bid is also reserved.
Bidding increments shall be at the auctioneers sole discretion.
4. The purchase price
The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 22% plus VAT on the premium at the rate imposed by law.
In addition, where a lot is bought through or using the services of www.the-saleroom.com, a further additional charge at 3% on the hammer price is payable.
5. Value Added Tax
Value Added Tax on the hammer price is imposed by law on all items affixed with an asterisk or double asterisk. Value Added Tax is charged at the appropriate rate prevailing by law at the date of sale and is payable by buyers of relevant Lots.
1. Immediately a Lot is sold you will:
1. give to us, if requested, proof of identity, and
2. pay to us the total amount due in cash or in such other way as is agreed by us.
3. . A 2% surcharge plus VAT will be added to credit card transactions. We are unable to accept cash payments in excess of £5000.
2. Any payments by you to us may be applied by us towards any sums owing from you to us on any account whatever without regard to any directions of you or your agent, whether express or implied.
7. Title and collection of purchases
1. The ownership of any Lots purchased shall not pass to you until you have made payment in full to us of the total amount due.
2. You shall at your own risk and expense take away any lots that you have purchased and paid for not later than 3 working days following the day of the auction after which you shall be responsible for any removal, storage and insurance charges.
3. No purchase can be claimed or removed until it has been paid for.
8. Remedies for non-payment or failure to collect purchases
If any Lot is not paid for in full and taken away in accordance with these Conditions or if there is any other breach of these Conditions, we as agent for the seller shall at our absolute discretion and without prejudice to any other rights we may have, be entitled to exercise all or any of the following rights and remedies:
1. to proceed against you for damages for breach of contract;
2. to rescind the sale of that Lot and/or any other Lots sold by us to you;
3. to resell the Lot (by auction or private treaty) in which case you shall be responsible for any resulting deficiency in the total amount due (after crediting any part payment and additing any resale costs). Any surplus so arising shall belong to the seller;
4. to remove, store and insure the Lot at your expense and, in the case of storage, either at our premises or elsewhere;
5. to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 1.5% per month on the total amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than 3 working days after the sale;
6. to retain that or any other Lot sold to you until you pay the total amount due;
7. to reject or ignore bids from you or your agent at future auctions or to impose conditions before any such bids shall be accepted;
8. to apply any proceeds of sale of other Lots due or in future becoming due to you towards the settlement of the total amount due and to exercise a lien on any of your property in our possession for any purpose.
9. Third party liability
All members of the public on our premises are there at their own risk and must note the layout of the accommodation and security arrangements. Accordingly neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall incur liability for death or personal injury (except as required by law by reason of our negligence) or similarly for the safety of the property of persons visiting prior to or at a sale.
10. Commission bids
Whilst prospective buyers are strongly advised to attend the auction and are always responsible for any decision to bid for a particular Lot and shall be assumed to have carefully inspected and satisfied themselves as to its condition we will if so instructed clearly and in writing execute bids on their behalf. Neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall be responsible for any neglect or default in doing so or failing to do so. Where two or more commission bids at the same level are recorded we reserve the right in our absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made. We are not able to provide condition reports on the day of sale.
11. Warranty of title and availability
The seller warrants to the auctioneer and you that the seller is the true owner of the property consigned or is properly authorised by the true owner to consign it for sale and is able to transfer good and maritetable title to the property free from any third party claims.
The auctioneer normally acts as agent only and disclaims any responsibility for default by sellers or buyers.
13. Terms of sale
The seller acknowledges that Lots are sold subject to the stipulations of these Conditions in their entirety and on the Terms of Consignment as notified to the consignor at the time of the entry of the Lot.
1. Subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries, any representation or statement by us in any catalogue as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price is a statement of opinion only. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and prospective buyers must satisfy themselves as to all such matters. Neither the auctioneer nor its employees or agents nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, express, implied or statutory are hereby excluded.
2. Private treaty sales made under these Conditions are deemed to be sales by auction for purposes of consumer legislation.
Notwithstanding the preceding Condition, any Lot which proves to be a deliberate forgery (as defined) may be returned to us by you within 10 days of the auction provided it is in the same condition as when bought, and is accompanied by particulars identifying it from the relevant catalogue description and a written statement of defects. If we are satisfied from the evidence presented that the Lot is a deliberate forgery we shall refund the money paid by you for the Lot including any buyer's premium (but not the amount of any consequential loss, damages, expenses or interest) provided that (1) if the catalogue description reflected the accepted view of scholars and experts as at the date of sale or (2) you personally are not able to transfer a good and marketable title to us, you shall have no rights under this condition.
16. Telephone Bids
Buyers wishing to bid by telephone during a sale should make request at least one working day before the sale by telephoning us on 01279 817778. This service is only available for lots expected to realise at least £1,000.
17. We shall have the right at our discretion, to refuse admission to our premises or attendance at our auctions by any person.
18. Any indemnity or exclusion under these Conditions shall extend to all actions, costs, expenses, claims and demands whatsoever suffered or incurred by the person entitled to the benefit of it and the auctioneer declares itself to be a trustee of the benefit of every such clause so far as it is expressed to be for the benefit of its employees and agents.
19. Any notice to any buyer, seller, bidder or viewer may be given by first class mail or Swiftmail in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting.
20. Special terms may be used in catalogue descriptions of particular classes of items in which case the descriptions must be interpreted in accordance with any glossary appearing at the commencement of the catalogue.
21. Any indulgence extended to bidders, buyers or sellers by us notwithstanding the strict terms of these Conditions or of the Terms of Consignment shall affect the position at the relevant time only and in respect of that particular concession only; in all other respects these Conditions shall be construed as having full force and effect.
22. English law applies to the interpretation of these Conditions.