Tuesday 27 September 2016
Session One: 9.30 am Lots 1 - 430
Session Two: will not start before 01.30 pm Lots 431 - 1086
Wednesday 28 September 2016
Session One: 9.30 am Lots 3001 - 3596
Session Two: will not start before 02.30 pm Lots 3597 - 4095
Public View Saturday 24 September 2016
A H Baldwin and Sons Ltd
399 Strand, London WC2R 0LX
10.00 am - 4.00 pm
Viewing at all other times by appointment at
399 Strand during the one week preceding the auction
9.30 am - 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday
Order of Sale
British Celtic Lots 1 - 114
Continental Celtic Lots 115 - 165
Greek Lots 166 - 320
The David Sellwood Collection of Parthian Coins (Part IV) Lots 321 - 430
Roman Lots 431 - 868
An Old Collection of Romano-British Coins Lots 869 - 957
Byzantine Lots 958 - 1028
The Collection of a Classicist (Part III) Lots 1029 - 1086
Anglo-Saxon, British, Scottish and Irish Lots 3001 - 3393
Albania to Greece Lots 3394 - 3419
India and Islamic Lots 3420 - 3519
Italy to USA Lots 3520 - 3596
British Historical Medals, Tickets and Passes Lots 3597 - 3672
World Commemorative Medals Lots 3673 - 3781
Art and Art Deco Medals, Medals by Subject Lots 3782 - 3877
Campaign Medals, Singles, Groups and Pairs Lots 3878 - 3961
Long or Meritorious Service and Miscellaneous Medals Lots 3962 - 3977
Orders and Decorations for Gallantry Lots 3978 - 3998
Groups to Men Awarded The Victoria Cross Lots 3999 - 4000
World Medals and Decorations Lots 4001 - 4019
Banknotes Lots 4020 - 4084
Coin Cabinets Lots 4085 - 4095
CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. The highest bidder for each lot shall be the buyer thereof. In the event of any dispute the auctioneer shall have absolute discretion to determine the dispute and the disputed lot may well be re-offered for sale.
2. The auctioneer will have absolute discretion to divide any lot, to combine any two or more lots, or to withdraw any lots from the sale without giving any reason. The bidding shall be regulated at the absolute discretion of the auctioneer. The auctioneer has the right to refuse any bid or bids.
3. All lots are offered for sale subject to any reserve price that may be imposed by the seller.
4. All lots are subject to a "BUYER'S PREMIUM" of 21.60% inclusive of V.A.T., payable by all buyers.
(a) The symbol ‘G’ appearing next to a lot in this catalogue denotes the item is ‘Investment Gold’ and, therefore, a VAT-registered trader can submit a claim to H M Revenue and Customs to recover the VAT element of the Buyers’ Premium
5. Bidding commissions for anyone unable to attend the auction in person will be carried out by A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd without any additional charge. Bids must be in writing and be received at least 24 hours before the sale. "Buy" commissions will not be accepted. A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd shall not be liable for errors or omissions in executing any bidding commissions. We cannot guarantee to execute written bids received less than 24 hours before the commencement of the sale. If two absentee bidders bid identical sums for the same lot, the first bid received shall take precedence.
6. The buyer of any lot shall, if requested, immediately notify his name and address to the auctioneer and if required,
(a) provide bank/or other credit references;
(b) pay the full purchase price, or a fractional deposit as may be determined at the discretion of the auctioneer.
7. (a) Lots are sold as shown with all faults, imperfections and errors of description and lack of authenticity. Neither A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd nor the vendor shall give any warranty to any buyer in respect of any lot or be liable for any fault or error of description or lack of genuineness or authenticity of any lot. All statements as to items sold, whether made in catalogues, during the course of the auction or otherwise, are statements of opinion only and are not and shall not be taken to be statements or representations of fact. A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd reserve the right in forming their opinion to consult and rely upon any expert or authority considered by them to be reliable.
(b) Notwithstanding the foregoing, if any lot, other than a miscellaneous item not individually described in the catalogue, should be proved by the buyer to be not genuine or authentic, or to have been wrongly described in any material respect, the buyer may reject the same provided that he shall have given notice of his intention so to do and shall have returned the same to A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd within seven days from, and in the same condition as at, the date of sale. The onus of proving a lot to be not genuine or authentic or to have been so wrongly described shall lie with the buyer. Proof of the inability of any recognised expert or authority to express a definite opinion shall not dis-charge such onus. If the buyer shall discharge such onus, the auctioneers shall rescind the sale and repay to the buyer the price paid by him. Save as provided herein, A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd shall not under any circumstances whatsoever be liable for any costs, expenses or damages (whether direct, indirect, special or consequential) incurred by the buyer in respect of any lot, whether or not as a result of any fault, imperfection, error or description or lack of genuineness or authenticity, including but not limited to loss of any kind of profit whatsoever.
(c) The Auctioneer does not accept the opinions of commercial third-party grading services. Refusal of such a service to grade a coin, or a difference of opinion on the grade of a coin, is not acceptable grounds for the return of a lot. Statements and opinions formed by third-party grading services based on their own independent research do not affect the auctioneers rights and conditions.
8. All lots are reserved at 80% of the lower estimate, with auctioneer’s discretion.
9. Save as provided in the preceding paragraph of these conditions buyers must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of their purchases at the time of delivery. A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd cannot be held responsible for any discrepancy which might be discovered after the lots have been removed from either the auction room or the auctioneers' premises.
10. A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd act solely as agents and shall not be responsible for any default by either the buyer or seller or for any action or claim which may arise in respect of any lot.
11. Each lot shall be held at the buyer's risk from the fall of the hammer. The lot or lots shall be removed by the buyer within seven working days after the date of the sale. A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd reserve the right to charge storage and to resell by auction or privately, without notice to the buyer, any lots not so removed.
12. Any part of the purchase price left outstanding after the auction pursuant to Condition 5 shall be paid in full within thirty days of the date of the auction. Without prejudice to any other rights, A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd reserve the right to charge interest on any overdue payment at the rate of three per cent per month. Seven working days' notice must be allowed for clearance of personal cheques before delivery can be made unless prior arrangements have been made with A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd A 2% surcharge will be applied to credit card payments.
13. Buyers accepting commissions from third parties do so at their own risk and will remain responsible to A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd for full settlement according to these conditions.
14. Baldwin’s are not responsible for any inaccuracies in information and results given verbally during or after the auction nor any errors in reports subsequently produced.
15. By making a bid the buyer acknowledges his acceptance of these Conditions and shall be bound by them.
16. If any buyer fails to comply with any of these Conditions, the lot or lots in respect of which the failure is made may at the discretion of A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd be put up again and resold. The damages recoverable from the defaulting buyer shall include, but not be limited to, the auctioneers' expenses and commission in respect of the resale and the amount (if any) by which the price obtained on the resale is exceeded by that obtained on the first sale.
17. A variation of these Conditions shall only be binding on A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd and the vendor if it is made in writing and signed by a duly authorised representative of A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd.
18. These Conditions shall take effect and be construed in accordance with the provisions of English law.
Methods of Payment
• Sterling transfer to A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd,
National Westminster Bank,
P O Box 113, 2a Charing Cross Road,
London, WC2H 0PD,
Account number 24525146
Sort Code 60 40 05
Swift Code NWBKGB2L
Please include your name and invoice number when sending instructions to the bank and inform A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd of your payment in order to speed-up the delivery of your purchases.
• Sterling cash, bank drafts and personal cheques made payable to A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd are also accepted.
• Card payments are subject to a 2% surcharge - including Mastercard, Visa, American Express and all non-UK cards. There is no charge for UK Debit cards.
• US$ payments can also be accepted in the form of cash and cheques made payable to A H Baldwin & Sons Ltd, please ask for the auction exchange rate.
• EURO payments are accepted in the form of cash only. Please ask for the auction exchange rate. For bank transfers and cheque payments a charge of at least £10 must be added to the amount paid.