1st-3rd century AD. A life-size solid bronze right hand in open position, the five fingers raised as a stop sign, the hand and finger lines well marked, detailed nails, a strong socketted circular opening for the insertion of the staff, joined by a fixing hole opened on the palm, possibly the top of a military standard or a cult object. Cf. a similar item from Martigny, in Zürich, Schweizerisches Landesmuseum, Inventory Nr. 41434, see Von Gonzenbach, V. Fides Exercituum, Eine Hand aus Vindonissa, in JberProVindon 1951/52,, pp.5 ff.,nachgedruckt in Von Gonzenbach, V., Schriften zu Vindonissa und seinen Truppen, in VGesVind 10 Basel 1991, pp.69 ff. 83f.; Toepfer K. M., Signa Militaria, Die römischen Feldzeichen in der Republik und im Prinzipat, Mainz, 2011, catalogue n. NZ 52. 1.2 kg, 22.5cm (9"). Property of a London gentleman; acquired London art market, 2000s. This item can be interpreted in two possible ways, It may have been used as the top of a military standard (signia), carried at the head of a century. The image of a hand with phalerae in shape of a patera is attested in a military context, such as the signia of Alexandrus, represented on his stela from Ramleh, in Bulak (Nicopolis, near Alexandria"). An open left and right hand are at the top of two standards decorated with seven phalerae. Alexandrus was a Macedonian Roman citizen, serving in the Legio II Trajana Fortis (Toepfer, 2011, pl.112, nr. SD68"). Conversely, Toepfer suggests that similar bronze hands were maybe too small for an attachment at the top of a massive military standard, they had no noble -metal coating and differed from the hands shown in representations (the fingers being significantly less extended), so they were maybe intended for cult use. Fine condition. Rare.