PLEASE NOTE: As an off-site sale, our internet connection for this auction is poor and so online bidding may be intermittent/not work.
Notice of Buyers Premium increase from JANUARY 2018 our buyers premium will increase to 18%+VAT--21.60% in total.
We comply fully with AWRS legislation, having been judged exempt and not requiring an AWRS license under the policy of 'incidental sales'. For clarification and confirmation please ask us prior to bidding.
We charge for storage for purchased lots post sale. See our terms and conditions for details.
We are happy to pack and post nationally and internationally and provide this service in house at competitive rates. Please contact the office for quotes prior to bidding.
Please note the following with regards to payment,
UK payments - we accept payment over the phone by credit/debit card of up to £500.00, anything above requires a bank transfer.
International payments - we accept payment over the phone by credit/debit card of up to £100.00, anything above requires a bank transfer.
PFK STANDARD CONDITIONS OF SALE
By bidding in our auction, you agree that you have read and accepted the following terms:
PACKING & POSTAGE
We are pleased to offer a full in-house packing service for most items. We send nationally and internationally by the preferred method of the purchaser - e.g. Parcelforce, Special Delivery or Courier. We charge postage at cost, plus a modest charge for packing materials and time. We aim to process and dispatch goods up to around a week post sale but, being a small team, we cannot always guarantee a fast service.
As an alternative, you may wish to consider Mail Boxes Etc, who have a branch at Newcastle. Telephone 0191 2220018.
Please note that whilst we endeavour to pack as carefully as possible, antiques are not insured in transit and it is up to the buyer to organise their own insurance. PF&K accept no liability for goods damaged in transit
We are also pleased to offer a local post-sale delivery service for larger items - please telephone the office for a quote. For buyers from further afield, we have contact details of a number of hauliers who regularly travel to (e.g.) London, and can obtain quotes as needed.
We reserve the right to charge for storage of purchased items post sale at a rate of £2 + VAT per day for smaller lots and £5 + VAT per day for larger lots.
OTHER STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) Penrith Farmers’ & Kidd’s (hereinafter called PF&K) take care to ensure that any statement as to authorship, attribution, origin, date, age, provenance and condition is accurate, but such statements should be read as if prefixed by the phrase: “In the opinion of PF&K this lot is…” PF&K reserve the right in forming their opinion to rely upon any authority reasonably considered by them to be reliable.
2) All lots are sold as shown, with all faults, imperfections and errors of description. Neither PF&K nor the vendor(s), for whom PF&K act as agents only, give any warranty whatsoever in respect of any lot, neither has any employee of PF&K authority so to do. Any measurements given are approximate and any statement regarding damage to specific lots does not preclude the possibility of the existence of other faults, not mentioned. BUYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SATISFYING THEMSELVES AS TO CONDITION.
3) Any statements, conditions or descriptions in the catalogue or elsewhere are subject to any qualifying or modifying statement made by the auctioneer from the rostrum prior to any bid being accepted for any lot.
4) The highest bidder shall be the buyer. If any dispute arises the auctioneer shall have the discretion to settle it and put any disputed lot up again. PF&K shall have full discretion to refuse any bidding, to divide any lot, to combine two or more lots and to withdraw any lots from the sale without in any case giving any reason. PF&K cannot accept responsibility for any expense incurred by any intending purchaser of any lot so withdrawn.
5) Gold and Silver: Articles which are not hallmarked but which would have been described as gold or silver prior to the restrictions imposed by the Hallmarking Act, 1973, are now described as yellow metal or white metal.
6) Books: Are sold as seen, uncollated, and are non-returnable.
7) All lots are put up for sale subject (a) to any reserve price imposed by the vendor OR (b) to the right of the vendor to bid either personally or by any one person (who may be the auctioneer). Vendors may NOT bid against a reserve price.
8) The property in a lot shall pass to the purchaser only on payment in full of the purchase price, but every lot is at the sole risk of the purchaser from the fall of the hammer.
9) Bidding via www.the-saleroom.com: In completing the bidder registration on www.the-saleroom.com and providing your credit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Penrith Farmers & Kidds, you: (i) authorise Penrith Farmers & Kidds, if they so wish, to charge the credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the sale via the-saleroom.com, and
(ii) confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit card details to Penrith Farmers & Kidds through www.the-saleroom.com and agree that Penrith Farmers & Kidds are entitled to ship the goods to the card holder name and cardholder address provided in fulfilment of the sale.
10) Lots shall be paid for in full and removed from the auction sale venue at the buyer’s risk and expense at the end of the sale. In the case of venues other than PF&K’s own premises, lots not so removed will be taken, at the buyer’s expense and sole risk, into PF&K’s own premises and will be subject to a warehousing charge. If after thirty days such goods have not been paid for and removed by the buyer they may be sold by PF&K by auction or by private treaty without further notice, any loss arising from such re-sale to be borne by the said buyer.
11) Notwithstanding the foregoing conditions, if within seven days of a catalogue auction sale PF&K receive, in writing, a notice from the purchaser of any lot that, seen in relation to the catalogue description, that lot is a deliberate forgery, and within fourteen days of that sale satisfies PF&K (the burden of proof to be the purchaser’s,) that the lot is a deliberate forgery, then the sale will be rescinded and the purchase price of the lot refunded. The vendor, for whom PF&K act as agent only, and the purchaser agree to be bound by PF&K’s decision in this case.
12) PF&K, acting as agents only, disclaim any responsibility for default either by the vendor or the purchaser. Payment will be made to vendors of any lot only after payment is received from purchasers of that lot.
13) Commission bids/requests for telephone bid received prior to the sale, will be carefully carried out by PF&K, but at the intending purchaser’s sole risk. Bids/requests for telephone lines received after 7.00pm on day prior to sale are not guaranteed to be executed.
14) All persons attending Auction Sales on PF&K’s premises or other PF&K venues shall be deemed to be there at his or her own risk, and shall have no claim against PF&K for any injury, damage or loss howsoever caused, unless caused by the negligence of PF&K employees.
15) Insurance: Unless PF&K receive instructions to the contrary, all goods consigned for sale and whilst in the custody of PF&K will be held insured against the risks of fire, burglary and water damage (but not against accidental damage).
16) Reserves: Unless instructed in writing prior to a sale, or in the case of reserves agreed on PF&K’s entry form, all goods will be sold without reserve. Goods which fail to reach the reserve price may be sold by PF&K on behalf of the vendor subsequent to the auction by private treaty at a price not less than the reserve price.
17) Value Added Tax: A vendor who is VAT registered must disclose the fact to PF&K and provide his VAT Registered Number, where the goods consigned for auction are assets of his business; if the vendor is operating the Special Scheme for Antiques and Works of Art, PF&K must be informed on, or prior, to consignment of the goods. Goods which are subject to VAT on the hammer price are marked in the catalogue with the following symbol X .
18) The vendor shall give PF&K a complete indemnity against any claims in respect of goods sold by PF&K on his behalf.
19) In the event of any failure of the buyer to comply with any of the above conditions, the damages recoverable from the defaulter shall include any loss arising on resale of the lot, together with the charges and expenses relating to both sales, and any money deposited in part-payment shall be held by PF&K on account of any liability of the defaulter to them.
20) The consignment of goods for sale by a vendor, or a bid at auction by an intending purchaser shall be deemed to imply an acceptance of these standard conditions and of any other conditions for the time being published by PF&K.