PLEASE NOTE - All lots are sold as seen without any form of guarantee whatsoever. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the condition or suitability of any lot(s) prior to bidding. As auctioneers we are happy to provide condition reports if requested. We will stand by such reports. If a condition report is not requested then purchasers are deemed to have satisfied themselves as to the condition and suitability of items that they may bid on and no refunds or returns will be considered.
CARD PAYMENT ONLY
Proof of ID for purchases over £7,000 required. Photo ID or passport and proof of address (uitlity bill, council tax bill, bank statement, etc.).
Our opening hours are Monday-Friday 9-5 and for this sale only Saturday 10th 9-12.
If you bought online, please note we do not take payment from the card you registered with on The Saleroom immediately, payment of unpaid invoices will be taken one week after the sale.
If you require P&P please call and pay the invoice and this can be instructed, if you have paid by bank transfer and require inhouse P&P please either call or email your request.
If you require the services of a carrier for large items within the UK but outside our local delivery area we recommend Chris Watson 07793 240435 firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not arrange overseas shipping of large lots.
Buyers Premium 22% + VAT
We understand it is not always possible to attend a sale or collect your winning lots in person so Mitchells offers a postage and packing service using Parcel Force, Royal Mail Special Delivery or Cumbria Xpress for larger items.
We will do our best to ensure your parcel is packed in such a way that it is as safe as possible for its journey (see Testimonials for examples of positive feedback on the quality of service we provide) however we are not professional packers or shippers and Mitchells will not be responsible for making any claim in the event of damage.
We also reserve the right to respectfully decline to send items which we deem too fragile/too heavy/too big for postage. We remind customers that items cannot be insured due to the nature of our lots and courier terms and conditions.
• Please note that items are sent a minimum of a week following the sale and cannot be guaranteed for a specific delivery date.
• There is a minimum packing charge of £10
• We can pack items for your courier to collect subject to a packing charge
• We will always use a tracked/signed for despatch route Eg. Royal Mail Special Delivery / Parcel Force
• For larger items in the UK, we use Cumbria Xpress on a 2/3 day delivery service
SOCIETY OF FINE ART AUCTIONEERS AND VALUERS and the ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CHARTERED SURVEYORS
CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS
(1) INFORMATION FOR BUYERS
1. Introduction. The following informative notes are intended to assist Buyers, particularly those inexperienced or new to our salerooms. All sales are conducted on our printed Conditions of Sale which are readily available for inspection and normally accompany catalogues. Our staff will be happy to help you if there is anything you do not fully understand.
2. Agency. As auctioneers we usually contract as agents for the seller whose identity, for reasons of confidentiality, is not normally disclosed. Accordingly if you buy your primary contract is with the seller.
3. Estimates. Estimates are designed to help buyers gauge what sort of sum might be involved for the purchase of a particular lot. The lower estimate may represent the reserve price and certainly will not be below it. Estimates do not include the Buyer’s Premium or VAT (where chargeable). Estimates are prepared some time before the sale and may be altered by announcement before the sale. They are in no sense definitive.
4. Buyer's Premium. The Conditions of sale obliges buyers to pay a buyer’s premium of 22% + VAT.
Please note: Lots purchased online with ATG media will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed
5. VAT. (*) indicates that VAT is payable by the purchaser at the standard rate (presently 20%) on the hammer price as well as being an element in the buyer's premium. This imposition of VAT is likely to be because the seller is registered for VAT within the European Union and is not operating the Dealers Margin Scheme or because VAT is due at 20% on importation into the UK. The double symbol (**) indicates that the lot has been imported from outside the European Union and the present position is that these lots are liable to a reduced rate of VAT (5%) on the gross lot price (i.e. both the hammer price and the buyer's premium). Lots which appear without either of the above symbols indicate that no VAT is payable on the hammer price. This is because such lots are sold using the Auctioneers' Margin Scheme and it should be noted that the VAT included within the Premium is not recoverable as input tax.
6. Descriptions and Conditions. Condition reports are provided on this web site or upon request. The absence of a report does not imply that a lot is without imperfections. The detail in a report will reflect the estimated value of the lot, and large numbers of such requests received shortly before the sale may not receive a response to all lots. Members of staff are not trained restorers or conservators and, particularly for higher value lots, you should obtain an opinion from such a professional. We recommend that you always view a lot in person.
We are, primarily, agents for the seller. We are dependent on information provided by the seller and whilst we may inspect lots and act reasonably in taking a general view about them we are normally unable to carry out a detailed or any examination of lots in order to ascertain their condition in the way in which it would be wise for a buyer to do. Intending buyers have ample opportunity for inspection of goods and, therefore, accept responsibility for inspecting and investigating lots in which they may be interested. Please note carefully the exclusion of liability for the condition of lots contained in the Conditions of Sale.. Neither the seller nor we, as the auctioneers, accept any responsibility for their condition. In particular, mechanical objects of any age are not guaranteed to be in working order. However, in so far as we have examined the goods and make a representation about their condition, we shall be liable for any defect which that examination ought to have revealed to the auctioneer but which would not have been revealed to the buyer had the buyer examined the goods. Additionally, in specified circumstances lots misdescribed because they are 'deliberate forgeries' may be returned and repayment made. There is a 3 week time limit. (The expression 'deliberate forgery' is defined in our Conditions of Sale).
7. Electrical goods. These are sold as 'antiques' only and if bought for use must be checked over for compliance with safety regulations by a qualified electrician first.
8. Export of goods. Buyers intending to export goods should ascertain (a) whether an export licence is required and (b) whether there is any specific prohibition on importing goods of that character because, e.g. they may contain prohibited materials such as ivory. Ask us if you need help.
9. Bidding. Bidders may be required to register before the sale commences and lots will be invoiced to the name and address on the registration form. Some form of identification may be required if you are unknown to us. Please enquire in advance about our arrangements for telephone bidding.
10. Commission bidding. Commission bids may be left with the auctioneers indicating the maximum amount to be bid excluding buyers' premium. They will be executed as cheaply as possible having regard to the reserve (if any) and competing bids. If two buyers submit identical commission bids the auctioneers may prefer the first bid received. Please enquire in advance about our arrangements for the leaving of commission bids by telephone.
11. Methods of Payment. As a general rule any cheques tendered will need to be cleared before removal of the goods is permitted. Please discuss with our Office in advance of the sale if other methods of payment are envisaged.
12. Collection and storage. Please note what the Conditions of Sale state about collection and storage. It is important that goods are paid for and collected promptly. Any delay may involve the buyer in paying storage charges.
Please check the Mitchells website www.mitchellsantiques.co.uk or telephone the saleroom directly for more information regarding their Terms and Conditions of sale.