Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By making a bid you agree to abide by the same.
Please note we do not accept card holder not present credit or debit card transactions.
Please only place a bid if you are satisfied with the authenticity of the item.
Please note: our buyer’s premium is 23.4% inclusive of VAT (19.5% + VAT)
Payment for all purchased lots is required within three working days of the sale.
Lots purchased online will attract an additional charge for this service plus VAT at the rate imposed.
Viewing & Condition Reports
Furniture is not displayed in the saleroom for viewing, photos are displayed online and condition reports will be given on request. Furniture is available for collection Mon - Weds 9am - 3pm the week following the sale.
We respectfully remind all purchasers that there is ample viewing time prior to sale and we are very happy to furnish further information concerning condition reports and further images of any lots.
Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves as to the authenticity of any lots offered. All catalogue descriptions are given in good faith.
Please note we do not accept card holder not present credit or debit card transactions.
Buyers in the room:
• All invoices must be settled in full on the day of sale.
• Payment can be made in person for immediate release of items by the following means:
• Credit card or debit card in person using chip and pin
• All invoices must be settled within three working days of sale.
Payment can be made by the following means:
• Debit card or Credit card in person using chip and pin
• Bank transfer :
Sort Code 40-15-33
Account 11252380 in name of Humbert & Ellis Ltd, HSBC Bank, Market Hill, Buckingham, MK18 1JL
IBAN No GB96MIDL40153311252380
Swift Code MIDLGB22
• Cash up to £3000
When the purchaser is collecting from the saleroom a form of ID, showing the address registered with, must be produced. (Driving license or utility bill)
If a third party is collecting on behalf of the purchaser we will require prior written authority, a copy of the invoice and ID of the third party collecting.
Postage and Packaging
We are happy to suggest Mailboxes Etc, Banbury on 01295 277733 who will collect, pack and post items both internationally and nationally. At the auctioneer’s absolute discretion we will post and pack small, light and unbreakable items. There is a £10 handling charge for the first item, irrespective of size- and P&P at cost for this service. Each additional lot carries a handling charge of £2.
Collection of items
Furniture is not displayed in the saleroom, it is available for collection Mon - Weds 9am - 3pm the week following the sale. Please do not try to collect outside of these times as your item may not be accessable.
Storage for other items is free of charge for the first two weeks and thereafter charges apply. Please see our Terms and Conditions for further details.
Items marked SIA are 'sold in absentia' and may need to be collected from the vendor and will not be in the saleroom for viewing or collection. Humbert & Ellis are happy to help with arranging courier collection.
Terms & Conditions
• Vendors are reminded that the terms of engagement and conditions of sale are incorporated into Humbert & Ellis Ltd entry form.
• Humbert & Ellis Ltd have absolute discretion to divide any lot, to combine any two or more lots or to withdraw any lot from the sale, to refuse bids, regulate bidding or to cancel the sale, without prior notice.
• Humbert & Ellis Ltd act only as agents for the Vendor. At his discretion, the Auctioneer may bid on behalf of the Vendor for all goods that are being offered, subject to reserve or otherwise.
• The highest bidder shall be the buyer, The Auctioneer may, at his sole discretion, determine the advance of the bidding or refuse a bid. If during the auction, the Auctioneer considers that a dispute has arisen, he has absolute discretion to settle the dispute or re-offer the lot for sale. The Auctioneers may only re-offer if a bidder contests a matter immediately, and before the offering of the next lot.
• The Auctioneers accept no responsibility for the accuracy of any statement, whether printed in the catalogue, published on the Internet or made verbally, as to grading, authorship, attribution, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance and condition. All such statements are statements of opinion and are not to be taken as being, or implying, warranties, guarantees or representations of fact. The Auctioneers reserve the right in forming their opinion to consult and rely upon any expert or authority considered by them to be reliable.
• Ample opportunity is given for inspection. Each purchaser, by making a bid for a lot, is deemed to have knowledge of all the conditions of sale and to have satisfied themselves as to the physical condition and accuracy of the description of the lot, including, but not restricted to, whether the lot is damaged or has been repaired.
• All lots are sold as shown, with all faults, imperfections and errors of description. However, if within 7 days of the sale of any lot, the buyer gives notice in writing to the Auctioneers that the lot sold is a forgery and if within 14 days of giving such notice, the buyer returns the lot in the same condition as it was at the time of sale, to the Auctioneers premises and there is shown, to the satisfaction of the Auctioneers, that having regard to the catalogue description, the sold lot is a forgery, the Auctioneers are authorized to, and will, rescind the sale and refund the purchase price received by them. This right is limited to the buyer and may not be assigned.
• Each lot, at the fall of the hammer will be at the risk of the purchaser and will be taken away at the purchaser's risk and expense, on the day of sale unless prior arrangements have been made with the Auctioneers. In the event of any liability upon the Auctioneers in respect of any loss this shall be restricted to a maximum of the price paid by the buyer.
• The title of the goods shall not pass to the buyer until the purchase price has been paid in full and including the premium at the stated rate.
• At the fall of the hammer, the purchaser shall give his name and address, and may be required to pay immediately a percentage of the purchase price. If the buyer fails to comply with these requirements the lot may, at the Auctioneer's sole discretion, be put up again and resold. No lots may be taken away until paid for in full and a pass obtained from the Auctioneers.
• If any lots are not paid for and removed in accordance with the provisions of the Conditions of Sale, than the Auctioneers may, without prejudice, to any other right they may have, remove, store, and insure the lots at the expense of the defaulting buyer. If after the expiry of seven days, the purchaser is still in default, the Auctioneers may resell the lots, either by public auction, or private contract. The purchaser, making such default, shall be liable for any deficiency arising from such resale, and for resulting expenses, any surplus arising shall belong to the Vendor.
• The Buyer's premium shall be the same for all buyers where the service offered is the same, therefore, bidders in the room, shall pay a premium of 23.4% inclusive of VAT, on the hammer price, and all agree that the Auctioneers, when acting as agent for the Vendor, may also receive commission from the Vendor in accordance with the Vendor's conditions.
• Buyer`s Premium 23.4% inclusive of VAT. Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 4.95% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed.
• Humbert & Ellis Ltd reserve the right to illustrate any lot offered for auction, and will use such photographs/digital images, both before and after the auction, at their discretion.
• The export of any lot from the United Kingdom, or import into another country, may be subject to licenses being granted. It is the buyer's responsibility to obtain any relevant import or export licenses. The denial of any such license or delay in obtaining a license shall not justify the rescission or cancellation of the sale.
All prospective commission bidders are respectfully requested to furnish the auctioneers with current and valid debit or credit card information in order to confirm their bids. This includes: the long card number, valid to and from dates and the three-digit ‘ICQ’ number verso.
The information will only be used subsequent to successful purchase of any lot and all information will be securely destroyed post sale.
Regretfully commission bids cannot be actioned without this information. Payment for all purchased lots is required within three working days of the sale. The auctioneers will be happy to remotely debit the relevant card by proxy and sent the receipt to the purchaser.