An African carved wood mask, possibly Nigerian, with white stain, 32cm
Selected Antiques & Fine Art Sale to include silver & jewellery
Goods cannot be removed by buyers until they have paid in full. A charge is made for goods still remaining uncollected 10 days after the sale. If you are unable to collect goods in person we recommend Mailboxes collection, packing and delivery service. They can be contacted on 01243 788221. We do not operate a post and packing service ourselves.
Lots 1-28 Electroplated wares
Lots 29-56 Modern Silver
Lots 57-108 Antique Silver
Lots 109-133 Foreign Silver & Metalware
Lots 134-136 Coins
Lots 137-155 Watches
Lots 156-232 Jewellery
Lots 300-363 Ceramics & Glass
Lots 364-436 Collectors Items & Works of Art
Lots 437-461 Clocks & Barometers
Lots 462-577 Paintings & Maps
Lots 578-705 Antique Furniture
Lots 706-709 Carpets & Rugs
Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 3% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed
Buyer's Premium 20% + VAT
Absentee (Commission) Bids: All bids must be received by 10am on sale day otherwise they might not be placed.
Cheque (supported by guarantee card)
Bankers' Draft/Building Society Cheque
Debit Cards - Maestro/Switch/Delta
Credit Cards - Visa/Mastercard (A surcharge of 2% plus VAT is applied if you pay by this method. No charge is made for payment by a Debit Card)
Collection of Goods: Goods cannot be removed by buyers until they have paid in full. Please arrange payment and collection promptly. A charge is made for goods still remaining uncollected 10 days after the sale.
If you are unable to collect goods in person we recommend Mailboxes collection, packing and delivery service. Contact Mailboxes Chichester on 01243 788221. We do not operate a post and packing service ourselves.
Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions of Sale
1. Definitions in these Conditions:
(a) “auctioneer” means the firm of Henry Adams Auctions or its authorised auctioneer as appropriate;
(b) “deliberate forgery” means an imitation made with the intention of deceiving as to authorship, origin, date, age, period, culture or source but which is unequivocally described in the catalogue as being the work of a particular creator and which at the date of the sale had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description;
(c) “hammer price” means the level of bidding reached (at or above any reserve) when the auctioneer brings down the hammer;
(d) “terms of consignment” means the stipulated terms and rates of commission on which Henry Adams Auctions accepts instructions from sellers or their agents;
(e) “total amount due” means the hammer price in respect of the lot sold together with any premium. Value Added Tax chargeable and any additional charges payable by a defaulting buyer under these Conditions;
(f) “sale proceeds” means the net amount due to the seller, being the hammer price of the lot sold less commission at the stated rate. Value Added Tax chargeable and any other amounts due to us by the seller in whatever capacity and however arising;
(g) “you”, “your”, etc.; refer to the buyer as identified in Condition 2.
(h) The singular includes the plural and vice versa as appropriate.
2. BIDDING PROCEDURES AND THE BUYER
(a) Bidders are required to register their particulars before bidding and to satisfy any security arrangements before entering the auction room to view or bid.
(b) The maker of the highest bid accepted by the auctioneer conducting the sale shall be the buyer at the hammer price and any dispute about a bid shall be settled at the auctioneer’s absolute discretion by reoffering the Lot during the course of the auction or otherwise. The auctioneer shall act reasonably in exercising this discretion.
(c) Bidders shall be deemed to act as principals.
(d) Our right to bid on behalf of the seller is expressly reserved up to the amount of any reserve and the right to refuse any bid is also reserved.
Bidding increments shall be at the auctioneers’ sole discretion.
4. THE PURCHASE PRICE
The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 20%, plus VAT (VAT on the premium at the rate imposed by law) plus any additional charges as mentioned in these terms and conditions.
5. VALUE ADDED TAX
Value Added Tax on the hammer price is imposed by law on all items affixed with an asterisk or double asterisk. Value Added Tax is charged at the appropriate rate prevailing by law at the date of sale and is payable by buyers of relevant Lots. (Please refer to “information for Buyers” for a brief explanation of the VAT position).
(1) Immediately a Lot is sold you will:
(a) give to us, if requested, proof of identity, and
(b) pay to us the total amount due in cash or in such other way as is agreed by us.
(2) Any payments by you to us may be applied by us towards any sums owing from you to us on any account whatever without regard to any directions of you or your agent, whether express or implied.
7. TITLE AND COLLECTION OF PURCHASES
(1) The ownership of any Lots purchased shall not pass to you until you have made payment in full to us of the total amount due.
(2) You shall at your own risk and expense take away any lots that you have purchased and paid for not later than 3 working days following the day of the auction after which you shall be responsible for any removal, storage and insurance charges.
(3) No purchase can be claimed or removed until it has been paid for.
8. REMEDIES FOR NON-PAYMENT OR FAILURE TO COLLECT PURCHASES
(1) If any Lot is not paid for in full and taken away in accordance with these Conditions or if there is any other breach of these Conditions, we as agent for the seller shall at our absolute discretion and without prejudice to any other rights we may have, be entitled to exercise all or any of the following rights and remedies:
(a) to proceed against you for damages for breach of contract;
(b) to rescind the sale of that Lot and/or any other Lots sold by us to you;
(c) to resell the Lot (by auction or private treaty) in which case you shall be responsible for any resulting deficiency in the total amount due (after crediting any part payment and adding any resale costs). Any surplus so arising shall belong to the seller;
(d) to remove, store and insure the Lot at your expense and, in the case of storage, either at our premises or elsewhere;
(e) to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 1.5% per month on the total amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than 3 working days after the sale;
(f) to retain that or any other Lot sold to you until you pay the total amount due;
(g) to reject or ignore bids from you or your agent at future auctions or to impose conditions before any such bids shall be accepted;
(h) to apply any proceeds of sale of other Lots due or in future becoming due to you towards the settlement of the total amount due and to exercise a lien (that is a right to remain possession of) any of your property in our possession for any purpose until the debt due is satisfied.
(2) We shall as agent for the seller and on our own behalf, pursue these rights and remedies only so far as is reasonable to make appropriate recovery in respect of breach of these conditions
9. THIRD PARTY LIABILITY
All members of the public on our premises are there at their own risk and must note the layout of the accommodation and security arrangements. Accordingly neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall incur liability for death or personal injury (except as required by law by reason of our negligence) or similarly for the safety of the property of persons visiting prior to or at a sale.
10. COMMISSION BIDS
Whilst prospective buyers are strongly advised to attend the auction and are always responsible for any decision to bid for a particular Lot and shall be assumed to have carefully inspected and satisfied themselves as to its condition we will if so instructed clearly and in writing execute bids on their behalf. Neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall be responsible for any failure to do so save where such failure is unreasonable. Where two or more commission bids at the same level are recorded we reserve the right in our absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made.
11. WARRANTY OF TITLE AND AVAILABILITY
The seller warrants to the auctioneer and you that the seller is the true owner of the property consigned or is properly authorised by the true owner to consign it for sale and is able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third party claims.
The auctioneer normally acts as agent only and disclaims any responsibility for default by sellers or buyers.
13. TERMS OF SALE
The seller acknowledges that Lots are sold subject to the stipulations of these Conditions in their entirety and on the Terms of Consignment as notified to the consignor at the time of the entry of the Lot.
14. DESCRIPTIONS AND CONDITIONS
(1) Whilst we seek to describe lots accurately, it may be impractical for us to carry out exhaustive due diligence on each lot. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and they (and any independent experts on their behalf) must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any description applied to a lot. Prospective buyers also bid on the understanding that, inevitably, representations or statements by us to any authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance condition or estimated selling price involve matters of opinion. We undertake that any such opinion shall be honestly and reasonably held and accept liability for opinions given negligently or fraudulently. Subject to the foregoing, neither we the auctioneer nor our employees or agents nor the seller, accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, whether relating to description, condition or quality of lots, express, implied or statutory, are hereby excluded. This condition is subject to the next following condition concerning deliberate forgeries and applies save as provided for in paragraph 6 ‘Information to Buyers’.
(2) Private treaty sales made under these Conditions are deemed to be sales by auction for purposes of consumer legislation.
Notwithstanding the preceding Condition, any Lot which proves to be a deliberate forgery (as defined) may be returned to us by you within 21 days of the auction provided it is in the same condition as when bought, and is accompanied by particulars identifying it from the relevant catalogue description and a written statement of defects. If we are satisfied from the evidence presented that the Lot is a deliberate forgery we shall refund the money paid by you for the Lot including any buyer’s premium (but not the amount of any consequential loss, damages, expenses or interest) provided that (1) if the catalogue description reflected the accepted view of scholars and experts as at the date of sale or (2) you personally are not able to transfer a good and marketable title to us, you shall have no rights under this condition.
The right of return provided by this condition is additional to any right or remedy provided by law or by these Conditions of Sale
16. We shall have the right at our discretion, to refuse admission to our premises or attendance at our auctions by any person.
17. Any indemnity or exclusion under these Conditions shall extend to all actions, costs, expenses, claims and demands whatsoever suffered or incurred by the person entitled to the benefit of it and the auctioneer declares itself to be a trustee of the benefit of every such clause so far as it is expressed to be for the benefit of its employees and agents.
18. Any notice to any buyer, seller, bidder or viewer may be given by first class mail in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting.
19. Special terms may be used in catalogue descriptions of particular classes of items in which case the descriptions must be interpreted in accordance with any glossary appearing at the commencement of the catalogue.
20. Any indulgence extended to bidders, buyers or sellers by us notwithstanding the strict terms of these Conditions or of the Terms of Consignment shall affect the position at the relevant time only and in respect of that particular concession only; in all other respects these Conditions shall be construed as having full force and effect.
21. English law applies to the interpretation of these Conditions.
22. ONLINE BIDDING
Henry Adams Auctions offer an online bidding service via the-saleroom.com for bidders who cannot attend the sale. In completing the bidder registration on www.the-saleroom.com and providing your credit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Henry Adams Auctioneers:
(a) authorise Henry Adams Auctions , if they so wish, to charge the credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via the-saleroom.com, and;
(b) confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit card details to Henry Adams Auctioneers through www.the-saleroom.com and;
(c) agree that Henry Adams Auctions are entitled to ship small goods to the card holder name and card holder address provided in fulfilment of the sale. This incurs a minimum charge of £10 + VAT and is for small lots that can fit in a padded envelope, they will be sent recorded delivery once payment has been recieved in full. For larger items we can recommend couriers to you, any charges incurred will be at your cost.
Please note that any lots purchased via the-saleroom.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 3% commission charge + VAT at the rate imposed on the hammer price
23. Artists Resale Right
Since 2006 the right has only been paid to living artists. However from 1st January 2012 the right will be extended to include sales of works by artists who have died within the last 70 years (following the existing rules of copyright). Artist’s heirs and beneficiaries will be entitled to a resale royalty of 4% of the hammer price when any artwork is sold for more than €1000 (approx. £850 depending on the exchange rate) or more. Purchasers of such works will be required to pay the 4% Resale Right when settling their account with us for the item purchased which is then submitted to the Artists Collecting Society who administer the payments to heirs and beneficiaries.