ENGLISH COIN AUCTIONS
or via www.the-saleroom.com ‘enquiries’ button
Telephone: 01723 364760
Postal address: West Court Lodge, West Street, Scarborough, YO11 2QL.
Enquiries about auction lots must be made before the auction day please.
Commission bids MUST be placed before the auction day.
Commission bids placed on the day of the auction will not be accepted.
Live online bidding via www.the-saleroom.com – commission bids before the auction can also be left on this website.
Commission bids in writing, by post or email, must reach us before the auction day. Please check to make sure we have received your bids prior to the auction day. You can type commission bids directly onto your computer screen via our website www.englishcoinauctions.com
£0 to £50 – in £5s
£50 to £200 – in £10s
£200 to £500 – in £20s
£500 to £1000 – in £50s
£1000 to £2000 – in £100s
£2000 to £10000 – in £200s
£10000+ - in £1000s
20% [+ VAT]
There is an additional charge for lots bought by bidding live online via the-saleroom.com of 3% [+VAT] to cover their hosting fees.
0% - FREE
However, please note that lots withdrawn by sellers within 35 days of the auction date will be subject to a withdrawal fee of 20% [+VAT] of lower estimate.
At the West Court Hotel, West Street, Scarborough, YO11 2QL, by appointment please – see website: www.englishcoinauctions.com for viewing days.
PAYMENT, COLLECTION and SHIPPING:
Invoices will be sent out a few days after the auction date – please wait until you receive your invoice before paying. The invoice will advise you which payment methods are accepted and provide bank details for bank transfers. Collection at our offices by appointment only please. Lots can be posted/shipped to you and postal charges will be shown on your invoice.
ART AUCTIONS LTD t/a English Coin Auctions. Company Registration No. 03391981.
VAT no. 714718632.
ENGLISH COIN AUCTIONS
Terms and Conditions
1. The highest bidder will be the buyer and once the hammer has fallen no purchase can be cancelled for any reason and no allowance can be made. If there is a dispute, the auctioneer’s decision will be final. All bidders must register to bid before the day of the auction.
2. The auctioneer has absolute discretion to divide, combine or withdraw any lot[s] and to refuse bids or regulate bidding.
3. All lots are subject to any reserve price imposed by the seller and to the right of the seller to bid personally or through any person, who may be the auctioneer.
4. Lots may be viewed at our premises by appointment. All descriptions and cataloguing of lots will be done by the auctioneer and are sold without guarantee, with all faults, imperfections and errors of description. No sale shall be invalidated by reason of incorrect descriptions. All lots are sold ‘as is’. Buyers’ are advised to seek professional help prior to bidding to satisfy themselves as to the condition and authenticity of lots and must rely on their own judgement. Condition reports are usually provided in the auction online catalogue, but must not be relied upon as an accurate assessment of condition. Auction viewers will be held personally liable for any property/lots lost or damaged, accidentally or otherwise, during or after viewing.
5. The auctioneer will only act as agent for the seller and will not be responsible, in any circumstances, for disputes between buyer and seller.
6. Any person bidding for a third party shall be held personally responsible for any purchases.
7. A buyer’s premium of 20% + VAT will be added to the hammer price of each lot for bidders leaving commission bids before the auction or telephone bids during the auction. For live online bidders, bidding via online platforms e.g. the-saleroom.com, an additional fee of 3% [+VAT] is also charged to cover their hosting fees [total 23% +VAT]. Lots with VAT on hammer price will be marked as such. The 3% [+ VAT] additional charge will also apply to bidding via other live online auction platforms, e.g. Live Auctioneers, Invaluable, etc. if applicable.
8. All lots purchased must be paid for in full and collected within 14 days of the auction date [storage charges of £2 per lot per day will be charged thereafter]. Payments from third parties will not be accepted. Payments must have cleared before lots are released. Collections are not allowed on the auction date. Lots will only be released to the buyer, unless special arrangements have been made in writing to authorise a third party
collection. If the buyer fails to pay within the agreed time, the auctioneer will at his sole discretion take whatever steps he deems necessary, appropriate and reasonable to recover funds from the buyer. The auctioneer is not obliged to take legal action on behalf of the seller to recover sums due from the buyer. Under no circumstances is the auctioneer liable to pay the seller for any amount not paid by the buyer.
9. We offer online bidding via the-saleroom.com and occasionally other online bidding platforms. On completing the bidder registration on their website and providing your credit card details, you authorise English Coin Auctions to charge the credit card, if necessary, in full payment [including all fees, commissions, premiums, etc.] for all lots purchased in the auction. Under normal circumstances, the buyer will wait for the invoice to arrive and pay by whichever method he may find convenient, which for a UK buyer will include cheque, bank transfer and debit/credit card [there is an additional fee for credit card payments].
10. If equal bids are received from different bidders, the first to be received takes precedence – so please bid early.
11. Commission bids in writing are accepted if you prefer not to bid live online via online live bidding platforms, e.g. the-saleroom.com. All bids are left at the bidders own risk, we cannot be held responsible for errors or failure to execute bids. Bidders must register their personal details before bidding.
12. The auctioneer reserves the right to sell subject to a reserve price, to advance bidding at his own discretion and to refuse the bid of any person or persons for any reason.
13. Collections can usually be made from our premises by appointment. We can usually arrange packing and shipping in-house or suggest a local professional shipper who will be able to ship worldwide. We recommend that buyers obtain a quote for shipping before bidding. Shipping is at the buyers own risk and expense. Once sold, all lots will be held uninsured at the buyers’ risk.
14. If the buyer fails to comply with any of our terms and conditions, the auctioneer may re-sell the lot[s] by public or private sale without warranty or reserve and without notice to the buyer. If re-sale results in a lower price than obtained at our first auction, the difference in price and all charges and costs will be payable by the buyer.
15. Copyright to photographs taken by the auctioneer or his representative, or photographs provided by the seller, will remain with the auctioneer after the lot has been removed and may be reproduced by the auctioneer at any time thereafter. Photographs in our catalogues are usually not taken by professional photographers and must not be relied upon as an accurate depiction of the lot. Bidders are recommended to view all
lots they intend to bid for in person.
16. The auctioneer acts in the sale of goods as agent only and is not responsible for any default by either buyer or seller. In particular, the auctioneer shall not be liable to pay the seller until cleared payment has been received from the buyer. We usually aim to pay the seller within 30 days or the auction date, unless payment from the buyer is delayed.
17. No person visiting the auctioneer’s premises shall have a claim against the auctioneer in respect of any injury sustained or any accident or damage which may occur from any cause whatsoever.
18. The buyer or seller is responsible for any damage to the auctioneer’s premises or the building containing those premises caused by the delivery or removal of items, or any other reason. This includes premises rented or hired by the auctioneer to conduct the auction or view lots.
19. All statements contained in any catalogue or listings: [a] as to any lot, are made without responsibility on the part of the sellers or auctioneer; [b] as to the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot[s] are statements of opinion and are not to be taken as, or as implying, statements or representations of fact. Intending buyers must satisfy themselves by inspection, employment of experts and professional advisors or otherwise as to all such matters and to the physical condition and description of any lot[s]. Neither the seller nor the auctioneer make or give any representation or warranty in relation to any lot. The auctioneer disclaims all responsibility for statements about any lot made by the seller.
20. The auctioneer reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.
21. When the seller instructs the auctioneer to sell property, he appoints the auctioneer as exclusive agent to sell that property. The seller also agrees to pay all fees, expenses and costs where applicable.
22. The seller agrees to pay the following costs: [a] packing, shipping and insuring the property to the auctioneer’s premises; [b] packing, shipping and insuring the property if they are returned to the seller unsold; [c] any applicable customs duty or VAT; [d] any external opinion where deemed necessary or appropriate by the auctioneer, and approved by the seller in advance; [e] any marketing initiative likely to increase the appeal of the property, where deemed appropriate by the auctioneer and approved by the seller; [f] storage charges as applicable to unsold lots not collected within 14 days of the auction date. Property not collected within 30 days of the auction date may be re-offered for sale with no reserve.
23. The seller must be the sole owner of the property with unrestricted rights to sell to the buyer, free from all third party claims or rights [including copyright and other property rights]. The seller must also inform the auctioneer of any known facts which may affect the value or appeal of the property, including any concerns expressed by third parties as to authenticity, provenance, attribution, ownership, etc.
24. Any estimate given by the auctioneer is a matter of opinion and is not an undertaking or forecast as to the amount an item may fetch at auction.
25. The auctioneer will agree a reserve with the seller, but where no reserve has been agreed the auctioneer may sell to the high bidder regardless of the amount offered by that bidder.
26. Once the seller has agreed to sell and delivered the property to the auctioneer, the seller cannot withdraw the property without the written consent of the auctioneer. Any lot[s] withdrawn within 35 days of the auction date, for any reason, will incur a withdrawal fee of 20% [+VAT] of the lower estimate of the lot[s]. The property will not be returned to the seller unless this fee has been paid in full. The auctioneer may withdraw the property or postpone the sale for a reasonable time for any reason, including doubt about authenticity, attribution, ownership dispute or provenance. In that situation the buyer must pay the auctioneer’s reasonable costs, including photography, cataloguing, storage, etc. The seller agrees that the auctioneer will hold the property as security until these costs have been paid in full.
27. Estimates appearing in online or printed catalogues are not representations of fact, but merely the auctioneer’s current opinion of the price a willing buyer may pay. The actual price achieved in the auction may be substantially different from these estimates and the auctioneer shall not be liable for any difference between the estimate and actual price obtained for the property [or part thereof] at a subsequent auction or other resale.
28. Whilst you can browse our auction on the-saleroom.com without registering to bid, you will be required to register on that website to bid and you must be 18 years or over to do this. If you are registering to bid on behalf of a business you must provide the necessary written authority to prove you are entitled to bid on behalf of that business. The auctioneer reserves the right to refuse any registration to bid for any reason. To leave commission bids prior to the auction or telephone bids during the auction, bidders must register first in writing.
29. All auctions are conducted in GB pounds [£] sterling. Bidders are responsible for ensuring that they have sufficient funds to cover the cost of bids [including any premiums, commissions, fees, VAT, etc.] and are able to pay promptly. Any bid constitutes a legally binding contract and bids may not be retracted.
30. The auctioneer reserves the right to cancel, pause or stop an auction for any reason and at any time.
31. If you are the successful high bidder [buyer] please wait to be contacted by the auctioneer before making payment. Invoices will be sent out to buyers a few days after the auction ends. Payment may only be made by using the specified payment methods as indicated on our website or on our auction page on the-saleroom.com website [or other online live bidding platform]. The auctioneer will not accept the return of sold items under any circumstances. The Consumer Protection [Distance Selling] Regulations 2000, do not apply to these online auctions.
32. Buyers and Sellers must acknowledge that due to the nature of the internet, the auctioneer cannot guarantee that access to the websites [ours and online bidding platforms e.g. the-saleroom.com] will be uninterrupted during the auction or that emails, bidding, browsing or other transmissions or procedures will function properly during, or before and after, the auction. We apologise in advance if this happens, but cannot be held responsible in any way for these problems.
33. Many items in our auctions are likely to be subject to a reserve, i.e. the price below which bids will not be successful in securing the lot. The reserve is confidential.
34. Is it highly unlikely that Artists Resale Rights taxes [usually 4% on hammer price] will apply to these auctions, but on the rare occasions when it does, the lot will be marked appropriately.
35. VAT is payable on auction premiums at the current rate, but may also be payable on the hammer price too in certain circumstances e.g. where the seller is VAT registered or the property has been imported from outside the EU [usually 5%]. If the buyer [usually located outside the EU] is seeking a VAT refund, they must contact HM Revenue & Customs directly for the appropriate forms, the auctioneer will not be responsible or involved in such applications.
36. Buyers from outside the UK may have to pay import taxes for property shipped to them and should fully research this before bidding. We normally only accept payment from non-UK buyers by bank transfer.
37. Before bidding on any property, bidders are advised to make their own enquiries as to whether a licence is required to export the property from the UK. It is solely the responsibility of the buyer to comply with any export or import regulations which may apply. Failure to obtain a licence or delay in so doing shall not constitute a basis to cancel a purchase or delay in making payment for a lot purchased.
38. Users of our website, visitors to our premises, sellers, bidders and buyers all agree
to fully indemnify, defend and hold the auctioneer, Art Auctions Ltd t/a English Coin Auctions harmless immediately upon demand from and against all actions, liability, claims, losses, damages, costs and expenses [including legal fees] that we incur arising directly or indirectly as a result of their breach of these terms and conditions.
These Terms and Conditions may be inspected at our premises or can be emailed to you on request. They will also appear on live online bidding host websites, e.g. the-saleroom.com.
Art Auctions Ltd t/a English Coin Auctions
Company reg. no. 03391981
VAT reg. no. 714718632