Metropress Limited ("We" or "ATG Media") is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controller is Metropress Limited (a Company registered in England and Wales with company number 01010311), whose principal place of business is 115 Shaftesbury Avenue, London WC2H 8AF.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Anne Somers.
Please note that as of [26/03/2012] we have amended the terms of this Policy.
Sometimes bidders breach the terms of their auction contract with an auctioneer, fail to conclude a purchase and 'default'. This has a detrimental impact on all parties involved from the auctioneer and the seller to the other potential buyers of the item subject to the transaction. It prevents us from providing a timely and efficient service to all our users.
We therefore now collect and store additional personal data regarding defaulted transactions and we may share this personal data with auctioneers on an ongoing basis to ensure the integrity and reputation of our services and to protect auctioneers and sellers from future default.
Please read Section 1 "Information Regarding Default" and Section 5 "Uses Made of Default Information" carefully.
1. Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our sites www.antiquestradegazette.com, i-bidder.com and www.the-saleroom.com and those of third parties ("Third Parties") powered by our technology to which this policy is expressed to apply ("Our Site"). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, registering to participate in live auctions, subscribing to our service or that of Third Parties, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by ATG Media or a Third Party, and when you report a problem with our site.
- Where we collect information for or in connection with Third Parties you agree that we are entitled to use the information as data controller as permitted by this policy and also to pass the information to the Third Party for the Third Party to use as data controller for its own purposes as communicated to you by that Third Party.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the bids (successful or otherwise) you may make during any live auction.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- We may ask you to provide information on your interests and/or preferences so that the information on our site is presented to you in the most effective manner.
Information Regarding Default
In addition to the information described above, we will also collect and process information regarding your transactions with auctioneers including;
- Details of when you registered on Our Site.
- The number transactions you have entered into with auctioneers through Our Site.
- The total value of the transactions you have entered into with auctioneers through Our Site.
- Where you have entered into a transaction through Our Site (i.e. you have placed a bid on an item and this bid has been accepted by an auctioneer as the 'winning bid') and;
- i. have failed to conclude the transaction with the auctioneer (for whatever reason); or;
- ii. have breached your agreement with the Auctioneer in some other way this will be recorded by us as a transaction "Default".
- In addition to recording the number of Defaults we will also record the value of each reported Default.
(together the "Default Information")
2. IP Addresses
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
- to remember your session identification.
- to determine if you are logged in.
- utilise the "remember me' function on the website.
- to remember your email address enabling us to pre-populate the login form.
- to store your choice of 'grid' or 'list' view modes when you are browsing the wish list pages of our catalogue.
4. Where We Store Your Personal Data
Information you provide to us is stored on our servers or those of our sub-contractors. We and our sub-contractors will take reasonable steps to protect your information. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a user ID and password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping your user ID and password confidential. We ask you not to share your user ID and password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
5. Uses Made of the Information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented or otherwise agreed to be contacted for such purposes e.g. through opting in for direct marketing communications when you register with us or as otherwise provided in this policy.
- If you choose to provide information to us regarding your interests and/or preferences we may send you content based on the information that you have provided to us. We may use the information provided by you to display information about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. We do not share this information with any other third party save for an auctioneer should you bid on an item.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service such as live auctions, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To supply auctioneers and other third parties (including Third Parties) with the required information for the purposes of payment and sale reconciliation (including credit card details), the entering into and enforcement of your contract with the auctioneer, communications with the auctioneer, and the conduct of and your participation in the live auction(s) they are conducting. We are not responsible for the processing of your personal data by such persons including without limitation any Third Parties. This is a matter between you and the person concerned. We are simply acting as a communication channel for this information.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about goods and services supplied by us or by selected third parties which may be of interest to you and we may contact you about these by post or email but only if you have consented or otherwise agreed to this e.g. through opting in for direct marketing communications when you register with us or as otherwise provided in this policy.
If you consent to the use of your data in this way please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in SW1). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Uses Made of Default Information
As explained in Section 1 we collect and process Default Information. We may use this Default Information to ensure that our services and those of the auctioneers we work with are not negatively impeded by bidders that Default on one or more transactions.
In addition, your Default Information may be shared with auctioneers who may rely on it when deciding whether to enter into a transaction with you in the future.
We will not notify you that Default Information has been collected regarding your transaction(s) through Our Site, however you may contact us at any time (as detailed in Section 10, below) and we will provide you with any Default Information that we hold regarding your transaction(s). You may request that we correct any such information that we hold should it prove to be inaccurate.
6. Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group from time to time.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- Auctioneers conducting live auctions using our site or our technology.
- Our suppliers
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If ATG Media or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- To Third Parties as permitted by this policy
7. Your Rights
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by leaving certain boxes unchecked on the forms we use to collect your data or by amending your details online. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at:
- Anne Somers
- ATG Media
- 115 Shaftesbury Avenue
- WC2H 8AF
- Email: email@example.com
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of auctioneers, our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites. In particular where we collect information on behalf of Third Parties such Third Parties and not ATG Media are responsible for how the information is processed.
8. Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you by us. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.